Instagram is the fastest-growing social media platform for sharing video content. It has different types of video formats like stories, reels, IGTV, and live. Statistics say that over millions of active users on Instagram upload video content regularly. The reel has become the most important part of this platform, which means creating a video on a reel can provide more engagement. Instagram algorithm promotes video posts rather than images. So creating a reel video is one of the great ways to grow your Instagram presence. Reels allow you to take videos up to 90 seconds long with helpful editing features. The most exciting part of the reel is that it has in-built editing tools to create a video. With these editing tools, you can create compelling reel videos for users on Instagram, which helps grab the audience’s attention and growth of your brand. Keep reading this article to learn how to edit your reel video for better reach on Instagram.
Edit Instagram Reels
If you are a beginner to Instagram reel features, then you might be confused about how to edit videos. Fortunately, Instagram offers in-built editing tools on reels that allow users to create and share high-quality video content.
Creating Reel Content
The first step before editing the video is creating reel content, and once you have an idea about what you need to make, create it.
The following steps help to create a reel video
- Open the Instagram app on your phone
- Tap plus “+” icon at the top of your home page
- Select the “Reel” option from the available menu.
- Then choose clips from the phone gallery or take photos on your camera roll.
Record Reels Hands-Free
You do not need to hold the record button while creating a video and use a hands-free function.
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Select the “Reel” option from plus “+” icon at the top right of the home screen.
- Here you will see the list of icon menus available.
- Tap on the “Stopwatch” icon and choose the length of your video clip by dragging the slider (between 5 seconds to 30 seconds)
- You can enter the number adjacent to the word “Countdown” to adjust the length of the pre-recording countdown toggle between 3 to 10 seconds.
- After editing the countdown then, click the “Set Timer” button.
- Tap on the record button (reels tab) at the bottom of your screen, and the countdown to the record will start.
- Once you are done with a recording, it will go to the editing screen to edit and share your video.
Add Music To The Reels
Most of the reel video has audio clips or songs or voiceover while playing them. Adding sound to your reel video is a very basic editing part on Instagram to create engaging content.
Here are steps to add music to your reels:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Go to reels and tap the “camera roll” icon at the top right corner of your screen to create a video.
- Tap the “Music note” icon on the left side of the screen. It will open the in-built audio library.
- You can find a song in the search bar, choose your saved audio track. Then click the “Saved” icon at the top of your screen.
- Otherwise, you can upload audio from your camera roll.
- If you have already recorded your video without music? You can also add music after recording your video.
- In this case, go to the editing screen and select the “Music” icon to choose audio for your reels.
Adding text to your reel is one of the best methods to tell about what type of content. You can add text to help your audience know about what your content is related to. It benefits people to understand your video even if they are watching without sound. Use the following steps to add text for your reel:
- Once you are done with your recording, tap the arrow icon to reach the edit screen.
- Then choose the “Aa” icon from the top menu bar to add text and enter your message.
- You can style your text using style tools at the top of the screen to make necessary changes in your message. You will make text changes like adjusting your text alignment and adding color.
- To set a text color, click the “Color” icon at the top of the screen. Choose the appropriate color from the list, or press and hold a color to use the slider.
- Add a background color for text, and click the “Text with stars” icon at the top of your screen.
- To add a caption for your reel, tap the “Sticker” icon and choose the “caption” sticker.
- After doing all edits then, tap “Done.”
- You will see a preview of your text, and here you can adjust your text appearance along with a video.
- If you like to change text additionally, then select the “Aa” icon again and do the editing process.
- After that, select “Share” to publish your reel video.
Using Effects On Reels
Effects are one of the best ideas to make great attention for your Instagram reels. With this feature, you can have huge library filters and AR effects.
Here are steps to use those effects in your reels:
Open the Instagram app on your phone
- Tap the plus “+” icon and select “Reel” from the list of menu
- Here you will see the list of icons on the left side, and choose the “Smiley” icon.
- You can now see a list of filters at the bottom of your screen, scroll through the filter menu to choose your options and review them.
- To see extra filters and effects, select the “Star” icon at the bottom of your screen and browse for additional options to view.
- To browse for more options, scroll right till the end to find a sparkling magnifying glass icon.
- Record your reel with a filter by holding down the filter icon.
- After adding filters, then tap the “Arrow” icon to go publish page and share it once you are ready to post.
Use Align Tool For Reels
You can add or remove a thing (or person) between clips to make an appealing effect in your reel with the align tool. The following step will guide you to access align tool:
- Open the “Reel” tab and make a video.
- Tap the “Record” button to record your reel.
- On the left-hand side, you will see “Two overlapping squares” (Align tool); tap it.
- You can see a translucent effect in your last clip and here you will allow adding fun props, outfit changes, or persons into the clip.
- You can align your multiple reels with the translucent image and tap the record button again ( timer function to make a smooth transition) to align clips as per your need.
- While using multiple clips for your reel, you can make an object or person appear (or disappear) effects between clips with the use of align tool to have magic on your reel.
Use Remix In Your Reels
The remix feature can help to record a video side-by-side with someone else’s reel.
Here are steps to remix the reel:
- Find the reel that inspires you to make a remix and tap the “Three-dot” icon at the bottom-left corner
- Here you can see the “Remix this reel” option and click it
- It automatically goes to the reel recording screen; here, you will see the other reel on the left-hand side of your screen. And your creating content will appear on the right-hand side.
- You can also add different audio to replace the others reel song
- Click the “Mix audio” icon at the top of your edit screen to replace the one you prefer.
- After doing all edits, then share to post your reel on Instagram.
Upload Cover And Caption For Your Reels
Adding an innovative cover page for your content helps grab the audience’s attention; it allows them to share their thoughts through interaction. Promptly answer your audience comments helpful in your profile growth. Here are the steps to add a cover caption for your reel:
- Once you have done your all editing process before sharing your reel
- You can add your cover page for the reel with the “Edit cover” option and see this option after clicking the “Next” button.
- Also, Write an engaging caption for your reel at the bottom of your cover page.
- Scroll down to decide whether to publish your reel on your feed, your close friends, or Facebook recommendations.
- After that hit the “Share” button to post a reel.
Timelapse In Reels
You can’t record a reel for more than 90 seconds on Instagram. But reels allow you to minimize video timing to 90 seconds with the help of a timelapse. This feature can be helpful to adjust the speed of your reel, like slow motion or display faster.
Here is how to use the time-lapse tool in your reel:
- Open the “Reel” tab to record a video
- On the left-side menu, you will see the “1x” icon and tap it
- Select the speed at which you like to record( choose 4x speed to maximize your video speed or also an option to minimize your video speed with a range of 0.3x)
- After selecting time-lapse for your reel then, start recording your video.
Instagram users spend most of their time scrolling through reels to see short-form videos. So leveraging the reel editing feature is more important to overcome marketing campaigns. As of now, you can create innovative reels with the help of editing tools. Using this feature will make users hold on your reel to avoid scrolling through the next one. The advantage of reel is that you can create reels using in-built editing tools. So you don’t need to install any third-party apps while making reels. You can use editing features to add text, align clips, make transitions, and use time-lapse in your reel. This article gives you a step-by-step guide about how to edit an Instagram reel.